The event Model United Nations (MUN) will be organized in MACE with the support of Rotary Club, Kothamangalam on March 28-30, 2014.
MUNs are highly popular among school and college going students in the gulf countries, in Europe and in America. In India too, this event is organized occasionally in the metropolitan areas by various top schools and colleges. However, in Kerala there has been only a handful of MUNs organized till date. MACE MUN will be the first ever MUN by an engineering college in the state.
Why participate in an MUN?
1) Certificate Value: Being a participant of an MUN looks good on your resume. The value of the certificate is unsurpassed by any other public speaking event. It is the ultimate debating forum and it tests general awareness as well.
2) Experience: MUNs are not like any other casual debates or discussions. There are standard rules and procedures to be followed. It is a strictly professional debating platform. Even the use of first-person is prohibited while speaking in an MUN.
3) Networking: MUNs are attended by the best speakers and diplomats in the region. The best speakers from Law colleges, Arts Colleges, Engineering Colleges as well as Medical Colleges will attend the event. A lot can be learnt by interacting with them and seeing them present their points.
4) Cash Prizes: There is Rs.15k to be won. There are awards like the best delegate award etc.
5) Opportunity to interact with Mr. Muralee Thummarukudy, an Emergency Management Expert in the UN
About Muralee Thummarukudy: An Emergency Management Expert with over 15 years of experience in Industry and United Nations. Has been involved in assessment or follow-up of most of the key disasters and conflicts in the 21st century. Experience in implementing projects in Indonesia, Myanmar, China, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, and Liberia. Traveled to over 40 countries and lectured in many universities around the world. Currently Programme Manager for Disaster Risk Reduction in United Nations Environment Programme. Member of the Scientific Advisory Panel of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction and the United Nations Disaster Assessment and Co-ordination Team.
6) Cultural Night